The Fel-d1 allergen accounts for over 80 percent of reactions to cats. Most Siberians produce less Fel d1 than other breeds. By selecting kitten from breeding cats that have tested low for Fel d1, or by spending time with the dam & sire, you have a much better chance of obtaining a low-allergen kitten. Individuals vary strongly in their reaction to allergens, including Fel d1. Purchase of a kitten is a major commitment. Should you react to your kitten, there are many reasonable steps that can be taken to reduce reactions.
- Moisten the kitten with Allerpet Grooming Solution prior to daily combing. This will reduce allergens released into the air during combing, remove excess oils and deactivate many of the allergens on the fur. Frequent combing with a moistening solution is very helpful in reducing reactions to your kitten. Allerpet Solution can be purchased online.
- Bathe kitten twice monthly. This will remove both allergens and irritants from the coat. Pet shampoo containing lanolin, aloe, or oatmeal will avoid drying and irritating your kitten's skin. When possible, use a hair dryer to warm the kitten and fully dry the fur.
- Use washable fleece throws where your kitten likes to sleep. This includes couches and chairs as well as climbing stations and and cat beds. Wash throws weekly in hot water with detergent and borax to deactivate allergens.
- Maintain a calm environment. Cats under stress increase production of Fel d1 allergen. Some typical causes of stress include having too many cats in the house, sudden noise or commotion, and a lack of quiet attention and daily grooming.
- Reactions to young kittens from litter box dust are very common. Small kittens may play or scratch in the litter box and tend to get dust on their fur. Using perfume free low-dust litters and change the litter weekly.. Green Tea Litter contains tannic acid that deactivates the Fel d1 allergen.
- If possible, the litter box should be kept in the garage or a room can be vented to the outdoors. Installing a cat door through a wall into the garage allows you to make a secure area with a top for the litter box. This will prevent kitten from playing in the garage or escaping.
- Keep your kitten out of the bedrooms of highly allergic individuals. This allows the allergic person a period of recuperation (no exposure at night) which will reduce daytime reactions.
Some Supplies that help reduce reactions to your kittens are:
- Allerpet Solution - can be purchased from many online stores.
- Feline Pine Litter - made from pelleted pine sawdust, is low dust and flushable.
- Green Tea Litter - pelleted pine with tea leaf which reduces allergens and odor.
- Dr Elsey's 'Precious Cat Litter' has less dust than most clay
(caution, their "Kitten Litter" is heavily perfumed).
- Worlds Best Cat Litter is a flushable litter made from corn
(some individuals are allergic to corn litter).
DISCLAIMER: Feline allergens can cause serious and potentially fatal reactions in some individuals. Allergen information provided is not a substitution for medical advice. We recommend consulting a medical doctor prior to visiting and/or purchasing a Siberian cat. Siberian Research Inc. and Lundberg Siberians disclaim all liability from individuals or catteries where allergies or feline allergen levels are concerned.
© Lundberg Siberians 2004